Being a member of several Facebook motorhoming groups
has been illuminating.
It appears the default position is the facility motorhomes
give owners to wild camp; to pull off the road at any convenient place to spend the night.
It also seems to me they travel long distance to get to places
but I am not sure what they do when they get there.
I love my motorhome,
But I like using campsites with some facilities
(electric hook up, toilets and showers)
This gives me freedom.
- So my dog can come with me
- To explore interesting and different places to walk
- To mitigate the constrictions of my diet (I can cook on the motorhome)
- To be able to make the best of British weather
- To arrange things to suit me
- To be able to travel with or without company (human)
- The need to empty waste water and toilet
- The need to fill with clean fresh water
- Ensure safety of people and belongings
- It is difficult to drive and look around
- Using toilets and showers is unusual
- Washing up is a novel activity
- Finally the unique drawback;
using the motorhome for day trips requires packing everything away.
explore the surrounding area on foot
with my trusty four-legged companion.
|Me and my companion|
It seems the default for motorhomers is to wild camp.
This is not for me because being a solo traveller
- Safety is a concern
- Unease due to mechanical breakdown
- Keeping supplied off grid is too demanding for me.
I can see that there are
different freedoms for different people.
My only caveat is the "Country Code" mantra
Leave No Trace