|Pearl on left, Toby on right|
So much so I have thought of having another litter with her and keeping one of the puppies.
What an amazing coincidence!
No sooner did that thought occur to me than I had not one but several messages enquiring about puppies.
I had enquires from:-
- People who had wanted a puppy from a previous litter. They sensibly changed their minds as their circumstances altered.
- A friend made inquires on behalf of someone she knew who had not long lost a Labrador.
- A member of staff at the vet's also inquired after the possibility of puppies
- Another friend again asked on behalf of someone she knew.
Is this a "Lockdown" phenomenon.
As far as I am concerned NO.
I have had litters before and many enquiries for puppies
Pearl has already had two litters.
Whatever the reason people were looking for puppies I needed to think very carefully if and when I would have a final litter with Pearl, especially as I have just discovered she has come into season
I need to take into consideration
- Pearl's age. She will be 6 this year
- The time of year to have a litter (May and June are difficult as the puppies are ready to go to their new homes during the summer).
- Most importantly the contract for a second "Walking" book.
The deadline for the completed manuscript is August 2021.
Having a litter now would prevent me doing research during September and October this year as Pearl and I will be fully occupied looking after the puppies
Again when I resume my research in March. April etc next year I will have a 6 month puppy. Not a good time to go on long walks.
The sensible thing is to have the litter as soon as possible after August 2021
I have decided to be sensible.
Now I can concentrate on my second book.