Hello to all you fellow motorhomers and welcome.
I hope you get as much fun reading this as I do writing it.

Monday, 20 February 2017

First Outing

My first trip this year was supposed to be last week to the National Memorial Arboretum. What a shame the campsite was closed? The website did say it was open all year but when I rang to book a pitch, I was informed the campsite was closed and would not re-open until March.  After my visit to the Arboretum I had intended to go to a new campsite in Cheshire and then return home. But now Plan B is in operation

I am going to go straight to Delamere Forest Camping and Caravanning Club Site in Cheshire for a few days.  Unfortunately the weather app indicates rain over the next several days.  On the other hand the papers have suggested it is going to be hotter than Dubai.  I wonder if it is also going to be as sunny? The Countryfile weather forecast should be more accurate and hopefully less rain. When push comes to shove you only really know what the weather is going to be like on the actual day. But whatever the weather, just like her ancestors, Pearl will love going out in the motorhome.

Just decided to check availability at Delamere Forest Camping and Caravanning Club Site and possibly book something.  What a surprise. I could not book anything for next week. The website did not elaborate on this so I rang the site direct. A couple of hours later they rang back. Would you believe it they are FULLY booked for the Friday. I was astounded.

This necessitated abandoning Plan B and quickly generating a Plan C. I could go up on the Saturday for a few days.  I looked at the weather forecast. It's a bit far ahead but it seems as if it is going to rain quite heavily over the weekend and the following few days.

So I generated a Plan D as well. Unfortunately my options are very limited as most of the campsites do not open until sometime in March. Those that are open all year I have already visited. However the additional campsite at Ilam, which I plan to include, opens on the 25th February.  It is a bit closer for me and the weather is suppose to be drier.

Right at this moment I do not know which plan to adopt. I'm hoping as the days pass so it will become easier to make a decision. I am, however undecided at to whether to book  pitch at Delamere in case the other days get booked up.

All this disappeared when out with Pearl this morning walking with her friends Rosie and Tilly from the local farm and their owner. As we walked around the farm we met them planting fruit for the summer. This was a timely reminder of how important farms are and how hard farmers work, especially on days like today when it is grey and damp. Because of them we have food to eat. It is important to remember this when in this day and age when we are so removed from the actual process of growing our

Saturday, 11 February 2017

Book Contract

Even though it is some time since I received the book contract from Hubble and Hattie I am still excited and elated.
We finally agreed on a title (like most of my titles it is a bit long) "Canines, Campsites and Campervans: Rambles with Rover".  The title says it all.  It is a book of walks from campsites which are suitable for dogs.

The publication date is not until August 2018.  The reason why it is so far ahead is I still have a great deal of research to do.  I can only do this when the campsites are open.  Lots of them close for the winter, which is why elected to submit the manuscript in May 2018. In case during the write up I discovered I needed to check something .  I do hope I will have completed it well before then.  It is much better to submit early rather than have to ask for an extension.

I have been working on the book since I signed the contract. I have plenty to do besides going out and about collecting information. I have not done as much as I had hoped. This is due to contract obligations, relevant and necessary courses and follow up assignments and then a horrid chest infection that laid me low for weeks rather than days.

I had planned on going out this week to the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire and Delamere forest in Cheshire. In the end I decided not to go firstly because I was offered some work which I really wanted to do. Secondly the weather forecast was for cold and snow. I was not sure I wanted to go out in my motorhome in such conditions even though I have a wonderful heater. Thirdly the clincher was that the campsite I was going to use whilst visiting the Arboretum was closed for the winter. So I am in the process of implementing plan B.

I have decided to include the National Memorial Arboretum in the book because when I visited it before it so impressed me. It is an amazing place and if you get the opportunity to go, do. Throughout the year they hold various exhibits and events. I was going now because they had a special event for dogs and their owners called "Paws for Remembrance". I thought this was most appropriate. Another time maybe.

If you wish to know more about the book please go to my website www.annachelmicka.me 

Friday, 3 February 2017

Changing Weather

So the first month of the New Year has passed. Pearl is no longer in season, which is good news, but the weather has changed with it raining most days.  This would not be too bad as I can time my walks with Pearl to coincide with the dry weather between the showers.  However there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about Pearl getting wet and dirty.  Even if it is not actually raining her stomach gets filthy from the soggy ground.  Long walks are off the agenda.
Before we can go into the house I have to wash her down and rub her dry. I then try to get her to shake. She usually does. Then it takes a while for her to dry off.

Fortunately it is still possible for Pearl and I to play with her Frisbee. She loves this and does not get too dirty.

Now that the nights are getting shorter it seems feasible to start going out in the motorhome.  I have to say I am not very enthusiastic about getting the van ready to go out.

I hope the weather improves for next week.  We shall see.  I will not make the final decision until later on when the weather forecast will be more accurate.